An editrix loads up on accessories at the Milan S/S 2013 shows - photo via show & tell me
Originally posted in The LOOK
As Rachel Zoe says, "An outfit is nothing without accessories. I don't get dressed without them!" Let's analyze that. So, if Rachel Zoe were to be believed, then if someone took all of her accessories away while she was sleeping (ie. a burglar or perhaps a wily raccoon) the next day would be a total write-off. I mean, she would rather go naked, stay in bed all day, and call off every meeting if she didn't have the earrings, the shades, the sparkle to help her get on with her day. Call them the finishing touches, the icing on the cake or the Michelle to your Obama, but no good outfit is ever really complete without rockin' accessories. And though I will get dressed without them, I'd rather not. I mean, seriously, where's the fun in that?
Now comes the tricky part. How do you ice yourself without looking like a Vegas showgirl? Simply follow these tips for accessory nirvana:
- MATCH YOUR MOOD: Instead of trying to match colours, choose pieces that reflect the mood or tone of your look. So, try a chunky heel with an oversized bag, or a refined pair of python gloves with pointy-toed pumps.
- OPPOSITES ATTRACT: On the other hand, you can play with opposites to either tone down or edge up a look. Want to take some of the too-too sweetness out of a floral dress? Edge it up with a wide statement belt or studded pumps.
- MAKE A STATEMENT: Love your eyes? Use earrings or a statement necklace to draw attention to your face (and conversely, away from hips, a tummy or any areas you want to minimize).
- PICK & CHOOSE Did that necklace come with a cute pair of matching earrings? The general rule is that if you've got a great statement necklace, keep your lobes bare. Amazing chandelier earrings? Leave the necklace at home. How about a busy neckline on a sweater or dress? Try wearing a great stack of bracelets or oversized ring instead of a necklace or earrings. So many women feel the need to wear a bracelet, necklace, earrings & a belt and the message gets completely lost in the process. Choose 2 (max) and load up.
- BIGGER IS (usually) BETTER Go big or go home. Instead of a single bangle or bracelet, mix and match to your heart's content for major impact.
- ADD SHINE Metallics always add interest to your outfit and a little goes a long way. If your outfit has yellow undertones, try gold jewels (real or costume..I won't judge) to enhance your look, even if you're not a 'gold person'. You'll be amazed by how quickly you'll convert. With grey undertones, go for silver pieces to add shine.
Check out some of my fav new fall accessories for work, after-dark and the weekend. Speaking of which...Happy Friday! Time to play! x
PS - Made for toiletries, but makes a great holder for your rings, bracelets & earrings. Danielle Acrylic Organizer, $16.99, Sears